With the twenty-fourth pick of the 2011 CSC Community Mock Draft, the New Orleans Saints (represented by Dave Cariello) select...
Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
This is the moment in our community mock draft that everyone has been waiting for: the Saints first-round selection.
I won't bother going into the teams needs because, well, we know them by heart. Simply put, I thought Kerrigan was the best talent available on the board at a position the Saints could really use improvement. In reality, I'm a little more than worried that Kerrigan won't fall this far in the actual draft.
That's really enough from me. I will let the "experts" do the rest of the talking since I've never seen Kerrigan play one damn down of football in my life and I won't pretend that I have.
- Height: 6'4"
- Weight: 267 lbs.
- Arm Length: 33 3/8 in.
- Hand Size: 9 1/2 in.
- College: Purdue
- Conference: Big 10
- Position: DE
Kerrigan is a beast of a football player that has the ability to be a difference maker at the next level. He appears to be versatile enough to play defensive end in a 4-3 and outside linebacker in a 3-4. He has the lower body strength to hold his ground in the running game and is a relentless pass rusher. He is a strip sacks specialist who became the Big Ten's all time leader in forced fumbles as a senior. There are questions whether he can play on his feet in space in the NFL, but Kerrigan is a likely a mid-first round pick.
Kerrigan has good size and speed. Explodes off the line and plays with sound leverage to get under offensive tackles. Persistent pass rusher with great closing burst that has a knack for making strip sacks. Reads quickly and has a strong lower half which makes him stout against the run. Very productive.
Lacks the elite burst and speed to consistently get around the edge. Does not show an adequate repertoire of pass rushing counter moves. Struggles at times to make plays in space. Lacks experience on his feet as an outside linebacker.
From Draft Countdown:
- Good size with a nice frame and growth potential
- More quick than fast but has a burst to close
- Able to get around the edge and run the arch
- Strong, powerful and an outstanding bull rusher
- Has a wide array of moves in pass rush repertoire
- Competitive and relentless with a non-stop motor
- Good range and does a great job in pursuit
- Reliable tackler who can deliver the big hit
- More than holds his own versus the run
- Displays violent hands and uses them well
- Shows the ability to disengage from blockers
- Smart with terrific instincts and awareness
- Utilizes proper technique and understands leverage
- Super tough and will play through pain / injuries
- Productive with a knack for making impact plays
- Superb leadership qualities and amazing work ethic
- Offers some positional and schematic versatility
- Lots of quality experience and a great pedigree
- Not a smooth athlete or overly explosive
- Average speed, agility and change of direction
- Ability to play on feet in space is a question mark
- May lack fluid hips and is unproven in coverage
- Some minor durability and health concerns
- Overall upside might be relatively limited
- May be a bit of a positional 'tweener
|Name||Position||College||40 Yard Dash||Bench Press||Vert Jump||Broad Jump||3 Cone Drill||20 Yard Shuttle|
Thanks to all the CSC members who participated in this years community mock draft. Without your help, none of this would be possible.
Below are the complete results from our community mock draft.
Catch up with all of the mock draft selections in our 2011 CSC Community Mock Draft Section.
|Pick||Team||Selection||Team Representative||Approval Rating|
|1||Carolina Panthers||QB Cam Newton - Auburn||DatFan||35%|
|2||Denver Broncos||DT Marcell Dareus - Alabama||Jeff.l.b||71%|
|3||Buffalo Bills||QB Blaine Gabbert - Missouri||SpreeGoogs||52%|
|4||Cincinnati Bengals||DE Da'Quan Bowers - Clemson||coldpizza||73%|
|5||Arizona Cardinals||CB Patrick Peterson - LSU||GRIZZ||61%|
|6||Cleveland Browns||DE Cameron Jordan - Cal||theprogrammerman||11%|
|7||San Francisco 49ers||LB Von Miller - Texas A&M||who dat patate||68%|
|8||Tennessee Titans||WR A.J. Green - Georgia||shipgoalie05||48%|
|9||Dallas Cowboys||CB Prince Amukamara - Nebraska||saints fan in cowboyland!||67%|
|10||Washington Redskins||WR Julio Jones - Alabama||VAsaintsfan||56%|
|11||Houston Texans||DE/OLB Robert Quinn - UNC||Jon Banks||62%|
|12||Minnesota Vikings||OT Tyron Smith - USC||HansDat||46%|
|13||Detroit Lions||OT Anthony Castonzo - BC||NorthFan||48%|
|14||St. Louis rams||DT Nick Fairley - Auburn||hakimdropstheball||54%|
|15||Miami Dolphins||RB Mark Ingram - Alabama||SpreeGoogs||48%|
|16||Jacksonville Jaguars||DE J.J.Watt - Wisconsin||Jay Preece||41%|
|17||New England Patriots||OT Derek Sherrod - Mississippi St.||FriarBob||27%|
|18||San Diego Chargers||DT Muhammad Wilkerson - Temple||DrewBreesManCrush||39%|
|19||New York Giants||OL Mike Pouncey - Florida||mknkachow||64%|
|20||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||DE Adrian Clayborn - Iowa||iori125883||45%|
|21||Kansas City Chiefs||DT Phil Taylor - Baylor||YESSaints/iori125883||63%|
|22||Indianapolis Colts||DT Corey Liuget - Illinois||MobileSaint||48%|
|23||Philadelphia Eagles||OT Nate Solder - Colorado||DeuceisLoose926|
|24||New Orleans Saints||DE Ryan Kerrigan - Purdue||Dave Cariello|