We have breaking news courtesy of Adam Schefter. Take it away Adam!
According to the projected timeline, the new league year would officially start Aug. 2 at 4 p.m. ET.
• Teams can sign their own free agents and begin talking with other unrestricted free agents Monday afternoon.
Monday afternoon is like, this afternoon! That would mean Saints fans would likely see the players the Saints want back, by the end of the day! Are you as excited as I am? Make the jump to see more details from Schefter.
UPDATE: [7/25/11 12:10 PM CDT] It Seems Schefter was a bit wrong. I've updated the information below the jump to contain the updated timeline. Sadly, there won't be any signings today.More from ESPN:
• Monday: The NFL will announce that teams can go to 90-man rosters and the official free-agent list will be distributed to teams.
• Tuesday: Teams can reach agreements with rookies and undrafted free agents beginning at 10 a.m. ET. Teams can reach agreements with all free agents and signed players are allowed to enter team facilities.
• Wednesday: Players can begin reporting to training camps 15 days before their first preseason games. According to the proposed timeline, 10 teams would report on Wednesday, 10 more on Thursday and 10 additional teams on Friday. The New York Jets and Houston Texans would be the last two teams to report, on Sunday.
• Thursday: Teams can begin to cut players at 4 p.m. ET.
• Friday: Teams can begin filing transactions to the league office at 6 p.m. ET.
• Aug. 4: Deadline for recertification and ratification of the collective bargaining agreement by the players.
Of course, all of this is subject to approval by the NFLPA which has a conference call schedule for 11 A.M. EDT. (10 A.M. CDT) Though the vote isn't guaranteed to approve it, the chances are very, very good!