After our abysmal 0-3 start, I think it's safe to start looking at the future. Namely the 2013 draft. If we're lucky, we'll finish as a .500 team, but more likely, we're looking at maybe four wins. So, I think it would be kind of fun to start looking ahead at what will be a pretty nice draft. There are a lot of talented players available, many of which could help us.
I'll go ahead and list some of our needs:
- Offensive Tackle - thus far, tackle play has been abysmal. No push in the run game and even less in pass protection. I would be very surprised to see the same starting tandem next season.
- Center - De la Puente is a solid player, but he's not a starter. He's really undersized and just limited talent-wise. An upgrade would be welcome especially considering former 5th round pick Matt Tennant was a bust.
- Wide Receiver - Colston is getting older and is struggling to separate thanks to injuries, Devery is losing his wheels, and Lance Moore doesn't have the size-speed combo to make him anything more than a number three target. Losing Meachem has hurt the versatility of this squad, and I'm not a believer in Joe Morgan or Nick Toon.
- Defensive End - Will Smith is a goner after this season, he's too slow and doesn't show any special pass rush ability, not to mention he is abysmal against the run. Cameron Jordan is fine as a run stuffer, but he needs a pass rusher opposite him to make a solid bookend. Galette and Wilson are rotational players only.
- Safety - Twenty-one games (21). That's how many games Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins have started together... and not gotten a single interception. Harper is a monster around the line of scrimmage, but his struggles in coverage are well documented. Jenkins plays a conservative game and lacks the true instincts to be a good free safety.