Some of you may already be familiar with the Reddit website and it's myriad SubReddits, specifically the New Orleans Saints SubReddit /r/Saints. It's essentially a Saints message board and it's worth checking out from time to time when you're not perusing the fine pages of Canal Street Chronicles here.
Apparently, a Reddit member by the name of Niehaus put together word clouds of the top 100, 200, and 300 words for each team as well as for the entire league itself. You can check out the entire page here.
In case you don't know what a word cloud is, here's a quick explanation:
A visual representation for text data, typically used to depict keyword metadata on websites, or to visualize free form text. Tags are usually single words, and the importance of each tag is shown with font size or color.
Which means the larger the word in the word cloud, the more times it was mentioned.
So what do the Saints word clouds look like? Well here you go!
Top 100 - /r/Saints Most Used Words for the 2013 Season
Top 200 - /r/Saints Most Used Words for the 2013 Season
Top 300 - /r/Saints Most Used Words for the 2013 Season
So what can we take away from these informative word clouds? A few things I notice:
- Behind the actual name of the team, "BREES" is the second most-used word.
- Defense was mentioned more than offense this season. Not very surprising considering new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and the changes the team underwent.
- After the Falcons, the Seahawks were the most discussed team. Also not that surprising.
- Saints fans like to use the word "F*CK" just as often as they like to say "WHO DAT."
- "POPEYES" appears in the Top 200.
- "HEAD" and "NECK" show up on the Top 200, presumably because of the hit by Ahmad Brooks on Drew Brees.
- "JOB" made the list, which I am assuming comes from Payton's slogan, "Do your job."
- "LOL" also makes an appearance in the Top 100 because, you know, lulz.
It will be interesting to see the Saints' 2014 word cloud next year and compare it to this season.