Other than Chris Johnson signing a two-year deal with the New York Jets, not much has occurred in the NFL world recently. The final scheduled Pro Days are coming to a close and multiple teams are starting to round out the top of their draft board. One of those teams, the Cleveland Browns, has expressed a large amount of interest in Derek Carr, whom they believe will be available with their second first round pick. I am expecting a shake-up at the quarterback position, which will change the entire landscape of the first round of the draft.
1. Houston Texans - Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
13. St. Louis Rams - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
16. Dallas Cowboys - Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
19. Miami Dolphins - Zach Martin, OT, Notre Dame
21. Philadelphia Eagles - Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
26. Cleveland Browns - Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
Mocking a receiver to the Saints with this pick is over for the time being because the Saints have brought Robert Meachem back on a one-year deal. This isn't a powerful addition by any means, but they now have four quality receivers on the roster and using a first round pick shouldn't be mandatory. A receiver should still be taken at some point in the draft, though.
A shake-up in the middle rounds and at quarterback, which is extremely possible, allows for Darqueze Dennard to fall to the Saints. Future Hall of Famer Champ Bailey was recently signed to alleviate pains at the corner position, but he will turn 36 in July. Dennard, the recipient of the Jim Thorpe award in 2013, is a physical, speedy corner that would thrive in Rob Ryan's scheme, which features a lot of press-man coverage.
I will say, if a guy such as Brandin Cooks or Odell Beckham Jr. somehow falls to the Saints, you can bet that the Saints' staff will (as they should) think long and hard about taking him.
28. Carolina Panthers - Marqise Lee, WR, USC
29. New England Patriots - Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
30. San Francisco 49ers - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU