The playoffs are just a day away. Or as my nephew and niece say, one more wakeup. Lucky for all of us that the Saints get to take part in this second season and have a chance to erase their recent mistakes and remind the country why this team is so scary.
Coincidentally, it falls at the same time that I feel our little corner of the world here at Da Chronic has reached an evolution point. The success of the Saints has also meant success for Canal Street Chronicles. We now have over 2,000 members, had our highest traffic month in December with 120,000 visits and are on schedule to break the 1,000,000 total hit barrier sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'm such a proud daddy. Given the obvious changes taking place in our community, I think it's about time that we here at Canal Street Chronicles take our home to the next level. What do you think? Great, glad you agree. At the very end of this post, I've got a surprise that I think many of you will enjoy.
First, let me tell you about a few improvements I've made around here. Believe it or not I've been thinking about all of these changes for quite some time. All of them have already been implemented.
- There is now a 24-hour waiting period to comment after signing up for an account. I know there are some of you out therestujo4who wanted this to be 48-hours but let's take this whole waiting period out for a spin first and see how she purrs.
- Our community guidelines will be included in the membership agreement when a new account is created. It is expected to be read and understood by everyone. Fortunately, new members will have that nice 24-hour period in which to do so.
- Everyone has really embraced the rec system which is wonderful. So much so that I feel we need to break away from the original format I had set up to help promote it's use and take it to a new level that better separates the good from the bad while hopefully encouraging members to write higher quality content. I've been studying the FanPost and FanShot section for quite a while with this in mind for the future, trying to get a feel for where I think the new lines should be drawn. I've reached my decision. It now takes seven recs to elevate a FanPost and four for a FanShot. And instead of two recs to turn a comment that cool green color, it now takes three.
- I've come to the realization that there is just way too much wonderful material on this site to read. I get to a lot of it, but I just can't read it all. So I have enlisted the help of some of our members to join the moderating team. They will be out there all the time reading everything written and taking all the necessary steps to make sure this place stays classy. Their identities are being concealed not only from you guys, but from each other. There may be three of them, there may be twelve; It's my little secret. But they are watching, like moderator ninjas. Any problems that need to be handled privately will always be done by me.
I also wanted to share with you our new and improved community guidelines. Some of them are still the same, some have been tweaked and some are new altogether. All of it has been reworded. Learn it. Live it. Love it.
Rules and Community Guidelines
- No profanity. Hell and damn are acceptable on an occasional basis. Nothing else. If you really feel you need to use a bad word, the only acceptable way to do so is using the first letter and truncating the rest of the word, i.e. "s---." The rules of tastefulness also apply to your avatars and signatures.
- Never attack another member on a personal level. That doesn't have to do with anything. You don't have to agree with everything that everyone says but you have to disagree with them in a respectful way. That's the fun in this whole thing.
- We don't need "interracial love" spam. Spamming and trolling is strictly forbidden. Nobody here is interested in what you're selling. Don't create multiple accounts for the purpose of avoidance. If you've got your own Saints website and you want feedback or to share, that is totally cool. Share it with us in a FanShot or FanPost. That is why they are there.
- Stay away from hot-button topics like race, religion and politics unless it is inherently related to the Saints.
- When quoting a source in a FanPost or FanShot, do not copy and paste the entire article. Just pick one or two parts you find signficant and quote those. Than link to the article. Whenever referencing a source, always provide the link. When posting a FanShot, do a quick check first to make sure that same link hasn't already been posted. In the case of duplicates, the earliest time stamped FanShot will be kept. The rest will be deleted.
- You are not allowed to plagiarize anyone else's work for any reason whatsoever.
- If you find yourself trying to fill space with pointless babble and "WHO DAT!? WHO DAT!? WHO DAT!? WHO DAT!? WHO DAT!? WHO DAT!?" at the end of your FanPost just to meet the 75 word minimum, it probably isn't meant to be a FanPost. If an article, video or picture is what you really want to share, try using a FanShot. You can still incorporate your own thoughts that way.
- Any comments that break these rules will be deleted as well as all subsequent comments made in reply. That means you are responsible for other peoples comments too, so don't ruin it for everyone else. We do not have the ability to edit comments so don't write some long, well-written comment and then ruin by saying something stupid, because it will all be lost.
- All of these rules should be followed on other blogs you visit. Interacting with other communities is strongly encouraged but you still represent us here at Canal Street Chronicles as well as Saints fans the world over. Don't give us a bad name.
- Knowing is half the battle. You are expected to know all of these rules. You will be warned for first offenses and could be banned for repeated offenses.
- Myself and the Moderators will be enforcing all of these rules at all times.
- For help and how to use the awesome features given to us here, it can be found right here in the posts contained in our Tour of CSC section. You are strongly encouraged to read them.
Welcome to your new Canal Street Chronicles. I'm excited and I hope you are, too.
After all of that seriousness, I think it's time to lighten the mood a bit. We know the Saints have put together some pretty impressive stats this season but what about community? This is where your surprise comes into play. The good people over at SB Nation hooked me up with some cool stats from our community that I think a lot of you are going to get a kick out of and ought to raise a lot of discussion. Perhaps even a bit of competition.
Below are the key stats from our blog for the last two years. When analyzing the numbers, though, keep in mind that we started the 2008 year in the month of April.
Thanks to everyone for everything. I've said it before and I will say it again: without you guys, I'm just talking to myself.
Stats For 2008
Most Active Commenters
|Steve the fan||804|
|Steve the fan||3|
Stats For 2009
Most Active Commenters
|Just Some Guy||1339|
|Hap Glaudi's Ghost||5|
|Gris Gris Man||14|