Last night, it was revealed that New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma ranks No. 58 on the NFL's Top 100 Players of 2012 list, dropping 21 spots from his 2011 ranking of No. 37. But what rankled me more than that was the handling of his suspension in the video highlights.
The package begins ominously with the NFL Network news clip of the announcement of his suspension from May 2, and drops hints of "the Saints will miss their man in the middle in 2012" and "2012 will be a tough year for him" throughout the highlights, and then closes with the very somber, "But now, his biggest challenge is whether his career in the NFL continues, or goes up in smoke."
I figured they'd have to mention his suspension, but I didn't really think they'd drag it out as bad as that in a fluff series such as this.
Vote in the poll and then drop some wisdom on us to elaborate on how you feel about his treatment in the comment section, please.
Also, in case you care, the full list of the players ranked 60-51 is after the jump.
60. Darren McFadden, RB, Oakland Raiders
59. Jake Long, OT, Miami Dolphins
58. Jonathan Vilma, LB, New Orleans Saints
57. Trent Cole, DE, Philadelphia Eagles
56. Greg Jennings, WR, Green Bay Packers
55. Patrick Peterson, CB, Arizona Cardinals
54. Brian Cushing, LB, Houston Texans
53.Tony Gonzales, TE, Atlanta Falcons
52. Von Miller, LB, Denver Broncos
51. Brian Urlacher, LB, Chicago Bears