The New Orleans Saints missed their opportunity for 2013 preseason perfection by losing their final game to the Miami Dolphins Thursday night.
Things started out great for the Saints. After a quick three-and-out by the Saints defense to start the game, Luke McCown led the offense on a well-executed, clock-eating, 14 play drive that ended with an Ingram touchdown.
The rest of the game was a little sloppier. Not terrible, but not that great either. Just... blah. But I supposed that's what is to be expected during the final preseason game of the year.
You always hope your team comes away from these meaningless games injury free but injuries to wide receiver Nick Toon and defensive end Glenn Foster put a slight damper on the night.
The best news of all? The last time the Saints won their first three preseason games then lost the fourth to the Miami Dolphins was in 2009. And we all know what happened after that...
- Marques Colston made his first preseason appearance with an 18-yard catch over the middle early in the first quarter. That was all we saw of Colston. That is all we needed to see.
- Khiry Robinson was given the opportunity to put on a show tonight. He finished with 22 carries for 115 yards and 6 catches for another 50 yards. Yowza! Considering the fact that Travaris Cadet didn't even make the trip to Miami for some unknown reason, I'd say Robinson has earned himself a spot on the roster. We're just going to ignore his lost fumble.
- It's nice to see the defense getting some turnovers and the secondary actually catching the ball. Korey Lindsey and Jerico Nelson both caught an interception.
- John Jenkins was a presence in the middle of the defensive line, with 6 total tackles and a sack.
- Jay Richardson is becoming one of my favorites. He had two tackles and two sacks, including one on a sweet inside move.
- Tyrunn Walker also had a nice little game with 3 tackles and a sack.
- The game was a little sloppy. The Saints had 11 penalties for 80 yards, ten of them were in the first half. Not surprising, though, with second and third team players.
- Turnovers. There's definitely room for improvement in the ball security department, particularly for Khiry Robinson.
- Nick Toon made an incredible catch with arms outstretched, by came down wrong and injured himself on the play. He went into the locker room and never returned. Payton said it was a minor chest injury.
- Glenn Foster limped off the field in the 4th quarter and then into the lock room with an ankle injury. Payton said it was minor.
- Isa Abdul-Quddus needed trainers early in the game to look at his leg, but walked off the field on his own power. No word on his injury.
- Prior to tonight's game it was questionable as to whether rookie quarterback Ryan Griffin might actually make the team. Not after this game. Griffin's gonna get cut. And clear waivers. Then hopefully put on the practice squad.
- Corey White had so much promise heading into preseason but I've found him to be disappointing, particularly tonight. He got beat on the double move, Gave a lame tackling effort at the goal line on the Fins first touchdown. Just disappointing.
Here are your final stats from the game:
|Time of Pos.||32:59||27:01|
|NEW ORLEANS SAINTS|