- We had them the whole time…
The Saints won their first divisional game of the season and improved to 2-3 on the season after a 37-31 OT victory over the Buccaneers on Sunday.
It wasn't always pretty, but the Saints managed to come from behind with some key stops and scores to get their second victory this year.
Drew Brees threw three interceptions but made some nice throws when it counted. The running backs won the game for the Saints. Pierre Thomas made some huge plays on screen plays and even huge runs (what). Khiry Robinson was tough all game and made the biggest play of the game with his game winning touchdown in overtime.
Here's how it happened:
- The Saints receive the opening kickoff
- The opening play is a bubble screen to Brandin Cooks, but it only gains one yard.
- The offense gets one first down on the first drive before punting it away.
- The defense forces a three-and-out on the Bucs first possession.
- Drew Brees delivers maybe his best deep throw of the season on a 36-yard throw up the middle to Marques Colston.
- Jimmy Graham drops the third down pass from Brees, and Shayne Graham converts a 30-yard field goal to take a 3-0 lead.
- Patrick Robinson looks confused on a few plays by looking around for instruction.
- A big gain by Doug Martin on third down is negated by an illegal formation on the Bucs. They convert with another big gain on the next play but once again get flagged to negate it. The Saints finally stop them on the third try and force a punt.
- The Saints start their third drive on their own 12 yard line.
- Jimmy Graham makes his first catch of the game but goes to the sideline afterwards with an apparent shoulder injury.
- Brandin Cooks gains 22 yards on an end-around run, but it gets taken back 10 yards on a penalty by Robert Meachem.
- The Saints can't convert on third down in the red-zone again, and Shayne Graham converts a 29-yard field goal to makes it 6-0.
- The first quarter ends with a 6-0 lead and only one first down for the Bucs.
- The Saints bring an effective blitz on third down and force the Bucs' third punt in three possessions.
- Josh Hill runs a perfect wheel route and gains 36 yards on the catch.
- The slow forming stretch runs aren't working for the Saints
- Zach Strief comes out with an injury but comes back in shortly.
- The famous screen play on third down works perfectly for the Saints, and Pierre Thomas takes it 15 yards for the first touchdown of the game. Saints lead 13-0.
- Jimmy Graham heads to the locker room.
- Patrick Robinson makes an incredible interception close to the goal line. PRob! Interception! What!
- The Saints start the drive at their own four yard line.
- Jonathan Goodwin leaves the game with an injury and is replaced by Tim Lelito.
- Once again, the slow forming stretch is bottled up in the backfield.
- The Saints punt after Brees under throws a deep ball to Meachem.
- Tampa Bay has another costly penalty that negates a first down.
- Patrick Murray makes a 55-yard field goal to make it 13-3 Saints.
- Brees throws one that he shouldn't have and is picked off by Johnathan Banks.
- Glennon throws a 20-yard touchdown strike to Louis Murphy over Corey White.
- The Saints take a knee and head to halftime with the lead.
- Junior Galette is called for roughing the passer to give the Bucs a first down after they failed on the third down conversion.
- Bobby Rainey runs for a nine-yard touchdown, and the Bucs take the lead 17-13.
- Drew Brees throws an inexcusable interception under pressure to Danny Lansanah, and it's returned for a touchdown. Bucs lead 24-13.
- Brees seems visibly uncomfortable in the pocket.
- Jimmy Graham is ruled out for the rest of the game.
- The Saints are using Cooks much more creatively. He runs a fake end-around, reverses back the other way and catches a swing pass for a nice gain.
- Travaris Cadet catches a 5-yard touchdown pass from Brees to make the score 24-20.
- Vincent Jackson goes over 100 yards catching for the day.
- Junior Galette nearly intercepts Mike Glennon after he was hit, but he dropped it as he started to run with the ball.
- Mike Glennon rolls out left and throws a rainbow pass to Vincent Jackson for a 36-yard gain on 2nd and 20.
- Robert Herron catches a wide open 9-yard touchdown pass from Glennon. Bucs lead 31-20 with 13:28 left.
- Brees makes a key third down throw to Brandin Cooks for a 16-yard gain.
- The Bucs are getting pressure quickly on Brees and forcing errant throws.
- Pierre Thomas runs for a beautiful 27-yard touchdown! The Saints don't covert the 2-point conversion. 31-26 Bucs.
- The Bucs get backed up to their one yard line on a holding, fumbled snap, delay of game, and false start.
- Junior Galette with the sack and safety! 31-28 Bucs.
- The screen game seems to be finding its groove. Pierre Thomas gains 19 yards on the first down catch.
- The Bucs sniff out the screen this time and tackle Thomas for an 8-yard loss.
- Shayne Graham makes a 44-yard field goal to tie the game at 31.
- The Saints force a punt and get the ball on their own 36 yard line with 1:05 remaining.
- Really? A delay of game on the first play.
- Pierre Thomas gains 13 yards on another screen pass.
- Marques Colston drops a key pass that may have put the Saints in field goal position.
- Alterraun Verner picks off Drew Brees on another under thrown ball.
- We're headed to overtime.
- The Saints get the ball first.
- Brees converts a key third down conversion to Benjamin Watson to get in field goal territory.
- Khiry Robinson with some tough runs in overtime.
- Robinson with a huge run! The 18-yard touchdown wins the game for the Saints 37-31!