The New Orleans Saints were trying to go 6-7 and take the lead in the NFC South all by themselves. Instead, a listless Saints team got crushed at home 41-10 against the previously reeling Carolina Panthers. Here is how it all happened.
- Panthers win the toss, get the ball first and gain 18 yards on their first play from scrimmage.
- Carolina scores a touchdown on their first possession on a reception by Kelvin Benjamin for a 7-0 lead. Panthers went on an 80-yard drive that saw Cam Newton go 5 for 5 passing.
- On the Saints first possession, running back Mark Ingram fumbles in Saints territory. The ball is recovered by Carolina.
- The Saints defense bows its neck and holds the Panthers to a field goal for a 10-0 Carolina lead.
- On the very next Saints possession, Brees turns back into his interception-prone self and underthrows Joe Morgan. The ball is picked by the Panthers in their half of the field.
- Cam Newton drives the Panthers for a touchdown and a 17-0 Carolina lead.
- A huge brawl ensues after the Panthers touchdown and Panthers' Brandon Williams is ejected
- Saints go three and out on their next possession.
- Saints are bailed out by a drop by WR Kelvin Benjamin to force a Panthers punt.
- New punt returner Jalen Saunders returns the ball to the Saints 40-yard line
- New Orleans finally gets a first down and moves into Panthers territory, down 17-0.
- Saints' drive stalls in Panthers territory and New Orleans settles for a Shayne Graham 37-yard field goal. 17-3 Carolina.
- Saints force the Panthers to pun on their next possession, once again, Jalen Saunders has a great return, for 42 yards.
- After a Saints drive into Panthers territory stalls, Shayne Graham misses a 42-yard field goal.
- Panthers proceed to drive deep into Saints territory. During the drive, Saints defensive end Junior Galette gets hurt but walks off the field.
- Saints blow a coverage on play-action pass and the Panthers score an easy touchdown for a 24-3 lead.
- On the Saints next possession, Jimmy Graham records a seven-yard pass reception. His first since in almost two and a half games.
- On the very next pass, Graham drops a catchable ball from Brees and New Orleans has to punt. So goes the Saints 2014 season.
- The Panthers go into halftime leading 24-3.
- Saints quickly go three and out on offense and punt.
- On the very next possession, Panthers' running back Jonathan Stewart rumbles 69 yards for a touchdown and a 31-3 Panthers lead.
- New Orleans drives near midfield and again has to punt the ball.
- Saints stop the Panthers on third down near midfield but jump offside to give Carolina a free first down. Signs of an absolutely unfocused team.
- Two plays later, the Panthers find the endzone again with running back Fozzy Whittaker. Carolina leads 38-3.
- On the next Saints possession, Jimmy Graham drops a pass, then Brees gets sacked. After an incomplete pass on third down, Saints punt the ball back to Carolina.
- The Panthers in their "run-up-the-score" revenge mode, drive easily again into Saints territory.
- At the end of three quarters, Carolina leads 38-3
- Carolina stalls in Saints territory and converts a field goal to go up 41-3. A forty-burger in the Dome, but from the visitors.
- On their next possession, the Saints drive deep in Panthers territory but stall on 4th down and turn the ball over on downs.
- Panthers eventually punt and New Orleans gets the ball.
- The Saints finally score a touchdown to reduce the deficit to 41-10.
- Panthers take the ball and stall and punt.
- The Saints receive the ball and drive into Panthers territory for some garbage time yards. The Panthers win 41-10.