The Browns stunned the Saints 26-24 in Cleveland thanks to a 29-yard Billy Cundiff field goal in the final seconds.
Blame this one on the defense, allowing the Browns to convert two 3rd downs and a 4th down on their final drive. The Saints also got off to a terrible start, going down 10-0 early after struggling offensively. The Saints never led by more than 1 point at any time during the game.
Jimmy Graham had a great game with 10 catches for 110 yards and 2 touchdowns. Mark Ingram also played well with 11 carries and 3 catches for a total of 104 yards
Here is how it all played out:
- 61 degrees in Cleveland at kickoff.
- FOX airs the singing of the National Anthem, which I don't think is normal procedure during regular season games.
- Browns win the coin toss and defer. The Saints start with the ball.
- The offense goes absolutely nowhere on the first drive. Botched shotgun snap on 2nd down certainly doesn't help. Three and out.
- Saints defense forces a punt on their first effort as well.
- Brees is sacked at the 1-yard line on first down. He can't find an open receiver and holds onto the ball way too long.
- Another 3 and out for the Saints offense. Cleveland getting a lot of pressure on Brees. Offense just can't get into a rhythm. So far they've got 6 plays for-1 yards.
- 3rd and 10 - Patrick Robinson gets called for an obvious pass interference, putting the Browns in the red zone. Ugh.
- Browns convert a 4th and 1 on the 5-yard line.
- Miles Austin makes the easy catch over the middle for a touchdown. Browns lead 7-0
- Playcall confusion causes the Saints to use their second timeout in the first quarter. The Saints end up punting.
- Corey White replaces Patrick Robinson to start the next defensive series but Robinson returns to game action after a few plays.
- Billy Cundiff hits the post on a field goal attempt but Patrick Robinson is called for a neutral zone infraction so the Browns get an automatic first down. Instead of getting the ball back, the Saints defense must stay on the field.
- Three plays later Cundiff comes back out and makes the field goal. Browns extend their lead 10-0.
- One of the worst quarters the Saints have ever played finally comes to an end. If Brian Hoyer wasn't such a crappy quarterback, the damage would have been much worse.
- Saints start moving the ball well on the ground. But their drive stalls when they try going through the air.
- No catches from Jimmy Graham yet.
- Brian Hoyer goes deep to Benjaim and Patrick Robinson actually makes a good pass breakup! Saints end up forcing the Browns to punt.
- The Saints offense finally gets it together, as we knew it would. Mark Ingram breaks off a nice 26 yard run. Then Brandin Cooks runs around the left side for an additional 28 yards.
- Unfortunately, the offense stalls and the Saints have to take the field goal. The Saints cut the Browns lead to 10-3.
- A blocked pass by Cam Jordan at the line on 3rd down forces another Browns punt.
- Drew Brees looks to an open Jimmy Graham over the middle but the pass is a little high and it sails over Graham's head into the open arms of Tashaun Gipson, who returns it all the way for a touchdown. The extra point snap is botched. Browns now lead 16-3.
- Saints take over with a little more than 3 minutes left in the half. After not throwing to Jimmy Graham all game, all the passes go to Graham as the Saints start moving down field.
- Kenny Stills makes his first catch of the season.
- Meachem drops a should-be touchdown pass on a back shoulder throw. He makes up for it on the next play with a catch for a first down. Saints spike the ball to stop the clock so they can take a shot at the end zone.
- With 8 seconds left, Brees lobs one up to Jimmy for the touchdown! Saints only down 16-10 at halftime.
- Graham should have dunked the ball over the goal post as a goodbye gift to Roger Goodell. The penalty assessed on the kickoff wouldn't really hurt much since the half is ending anyway.
- The Browns start the half with the ball.
- Johnny Manziel checks into the game at quarterback for one play. Random and stupid. Browns eventually punt.
- Mark Ingram picks up right where he left off in the first half, with a 15-yard run, a screen catch for 13 yards, and another run for 15 yards. He is possessed.
- Jimmy Graham notches his second touchdown of the game with a catch at the goal line. Saints take the lead 17-16 as the better team begins to emerge.
- Manziel checks into the game again for back-to-back plays. Nothing comes of it.
- Patrick Robinson makes a nice tackle on the running back in the backfield. More credit where credit is due.
- The Browns put together an impressive 14-play 80-yard drive that ends with a touchdown run by Terrance West. Browns back up 23-17.
- The Saints respond with an equally impressive 13-play 80-yard drive of their own capped off by a 1-yard touchdown run by Mark Ingram. Saints regain the lead 24-23.
- Saints defense puts an end to the scoring drive streak, forcing the Browns to punt. Saints can pull away here with another touchdown.
- Once again the Saints march down the field with ease, spreading the ball around and mixing runs and pass.
- A Karlos Dansby sack on 3rd and 5 forces the Saints to punt.
- A good punt by Morstead gives the Browns poor field position at their own 4 yard line with a little over 2 minutes remaining in the game.
- David Hawthorne leaves the game with a left leg injury. He will not return.
- 3rd and 1 - Browns convert with a completion to Miles Austin. Corey White on the coverage. Frustration.
- Sean Payton is seen yelling at Rob Ryan on the sideline.
- 3rd and 3 - Browns convert with a completion to Miles Austin. Keenan Lewis on the coverage. More frustration.
- Junior Galette gets the first sack of the game on Brian Hoyer.
- 4th and 6 - Browns convert on a completion to Gary Barnidge. You gotta be f@#&$ing kidding me!!!
- A 13-yard pass to Miles Austin puts the Browns close to field goal range with 15 seconds left in the game.
- The Browns complete a 22-yard pass to a wide open Andrew Hawkins. Unbelievable. Completely blown coverage. Patrick Robinson is flagged for holding.
- Billy Cundiff makes the easy 29-yard field goal to give the Browns the win 26-24.