Below is a comparison of the 2012 and 2015 Saints defenses across many statistical categories. Also included is their NFL ranking in each of those categories that year. Below that is a comparison summary of the two units. In many areas, the 2015 Saints defense is worse than it was in 2012. While in some areas, it's slightly better. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
|Team||Yds / Game||Yds / Play||Rush Yds / Game||Rush Yds / Play||Pass Yds / Game||Pass Yards / Play||Int. Rate||Sacks / Pass Att.||First Downs / Game||Punt Return Avg||Kickoff Return Avg||3rd Down Pct||4th Down Pct||Red Zone Pct||Goal to Go%||Pts / Game||Point Diff. / Game||Yard Diff. / Game|
|2012 Stats||440.1||6.47||147.6||5.17||292.6||7.78||2.49 %||4.98 %||23.8||12.6||25.0||38.46 %||52.63 %||55.71 %||62.50 %||28.4||0.4||-29.3|
|2015 Stats||424.3||6.67||131.2||4.93||293.1||8.42||1.15 %||6.32 %||23.6||8.4||26.3||34.78 %||70.00 %||60.47 %||70.00 %||31.5||-6.0||-9.8|
- This year's defense is giving up more yards per play than in 2012, but not as many yards per game.
- This year's defense is giving up more passing yards per game than in 2012, but not as many rush yards per play.
- The Saints defense is doing twice as bad in the interception department this year compared to 2012.
- The Saints are doing a better job sacking opposing quarterbacks this year than in 2012.
- The Saints are giving up just about as many first downs as they did in 2012.
- The Saints are giving up 3 points more per game this year than in 2012.
- Based on the point differential per game, the defense is getting less help from the offense this year than in 2012.
- The defense with the second most yards given up per game this season is the NY Giants, lead my defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.