The following is a complete list of Saints draft day trades from 2006 to 2014. I will let you all draw your own conclusions from this data.
2006 Round 2: traded 34th overall for 43rd overall pick (Roman Harper) and Jeff Faine.
2006 Round 4: traded 99th overall pick for 108th overall pick (Jahri Evans) and Hollis Thomas
2007: Round 2: traded 58th overall pick for 66th overall pick (Usama Young) and 145th overall pick (David Jones)
2007: Round 4: traded 123rd and 163rd overall picks for 107th overall pick (Antonio Pittman)
2008: Round 1: traded 10th and 78th overall picks for 7th overall pick (Sedrick Ellis) and 164th overall pick (Carl Nicks)
2008: Round 5: traded 146th and 218th overall picks for 144th overall pick (DeMario Pressley)
2008: Round 7: traded 187th overall pick in 2009 for 237th overall pick (Adrian Arrington)
2009: Round 5: traded 222nd overall pick and 163rd overall pick in 2010 for 164th overall pick (Thomas Morstead)
2010: Round 4: 130th and 201st overall picks for 123rd overall pick (Al Woods)
2010: Round 5: traded 121st overall pick in 2011 for 158th overall pick (Matt Tennant)
2011: Round 1: traded 56th overall pick and 27th overall pick in 2012 for 28th overall pick (Mark Ingram)
2013: Round 3: traded 106th and 109th overall picks for 82nd overall pick (John Jenkins)
2014: Round 1: traded 27th and 91st overall picks for 20th overall pick (Brandin Cooks)
- The Saints have only traded down three times during the Sean Payton era.
- If it feels like it's been a while since the Saints have traded down, it's because it's been eight years since they've last done so (2007).
- The 2006 Saints draft class was far and away their best under Sean Payton and they never traded up. In fact they traded down twice.
- The Saints have traded up 10 times.
- Other than the Bountygate year, the Saints have traded up every year since 2007.