We’ll start with Pro Football Focus grades, as we look at the top five players.
Offense: Mark Ingram (76.9), Max Unger (75.0), Willie Snead (75.9), Drew Brees (75.5), Zach Strief (74.7)
Defense: Tyeler Davison (79.3), Vonn Bell (77.3), Craig Robertson (77.1), Nick Fairley (75.8), Darryl Tapp (71.2)
Here’s some of the team’s stats:
- Rookie wide receiver Michael Thomas had his first career 100-yard receiving game and finished with 10 receptions for 130 yards on 13 targets. Hopefully, it’s the first of many in his career.
- The Saints went 9-for-14 on third downs in the game, and outgained the Chiefs 463-326. They also won the time of possession battle 32:38-27:22.
- Nathan Stupar led the team with eight combined tackles (seven solo).
- Drew Brees had his 100th career 300-yard game, which is an NFL record. The Saints quarterback also had his 54th career game of throwing for 30 completions or better, which is also a league record.
- The Saints scored a touchdown on their first possession again, which marked their fourth consecutive game in doing so. It’s a franchise record.
- Another record that was set on the day that ended against the Chiefs was that the team had scored in 14 consecutive quarters.
- The opening third quarter scoring drive lasted 8:05, which was the longest Saints scoring drive in over a year (Carolina - 9/27/15).
- Michael Thomas became just the third Saints rookie in franchise history to total 10 catches and 130 yards, joining Marques Colston and Danny Abramowicz.