October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month across the NFL for the eighth straight year, and the league is introducing “A Crucial Catch: Screening Saves Lives” campaign, which is intended to remind women about the importance of having a regular mammogram. The initiative will benefit the American Cancer Society, and you can make donations at cancer.org/donate.
According to the press release by the league, the NFL has raised more than $15 million since 2009 through their partnership. Healthcare centers in all 32-team NFL markets are receiving a $50,000 grant to access to screenings and additional cancer prevention and early detection programs.
- Saints players will visit the Tansey Breast Center at Ochsner Health System to distribute Saints/Ochsner BCA items to patients.
- At the Saints BCA game, the Charity Spotlight of the game will be the Gayle & Tom Benson Cancer Center. During pre-game, breast cancer survivors will accompany the anthem singer, and ZTA member, ROBIN BARNES.
- Breast cancer survivors and supporters will form the Saints flag unfurling crew, and the honorary captain for the game will be a breast cancer survivor.
- Team partner Ochsner Health System will recognize breast cancer survivors during a pre-game presentation as part of the Ochsner Heroes program and will also provide pink spirit swirlers to fans at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
- Volunteers from the American Cancer Society will serve as a gate giveaway crew. There will be a Breast Cancer Awareness halftime tribute.
- The Saints will partner with Zeta Tau Alpha sorority to distribute information cards and pink ribbons at the game. Breast cancer survivors and American Cancer Society volunteers will receive tickets to the game.
- The Mercedes-Benz Superdome will be lit pink on the day of the BCA game. Saints staff and special guests will wear pink credentials.
You can purchase specially designed Breast Cancer Awareness Saints gear from the NFL Team Shop.