As long as it took for the New Orleans Saints first preseason game to come, it sure did go by quickly.
The black and gold dropped Thursday’s contest 34-22 to the New England Patriots at Foxborough. Sean Payton is now winless (0-4) in the preseason against the Patriots. Here’s a few brief takeaways from tonight’s action.
This rookie guy is good at football: The excitement of the night can probably be summed up by this Michael Thomas play. This guy can play, and makes for a scary presence for Drew Brees.
Hold on to your butts: Second-year linebacker Stephone Anthony rode off in a cart. The extent of his injury is unknown, but that’s hardly good news.
Veterans flashed: John Kuhn may be 33, but it’s easy to see that he can still play. Kuhn had some very smart plays. Kasim Edebali had 2 sacks in the first half, one that came after James Laurinaitis failed to bring Jimmy Garoppolo down on a blitz. Nick Fairley was seen dropping back in coverage a couple of times, and had some good stuffs. Nathan Stupar showed us why he’s going to be a nice player for Dennis Allen’s defense.
Defense looked better: Sacks, good coverage plays (Kenny Vaccaro on Martellus Bennett) early), Roman Harper snuffed out a run play, and pretty strong overall. That’s encouraging when you compare it to last year’s opener against the Baltimore Ravens. It was like the complete opposite.
Mistakes: The Saints had four turnovers on the night, which certainly isn’t good. The team had 9 penalties for 93 yards, and you know that is a big pet peeve of Payton’s. I didn’t exactly see the best out of the team’s offensive line, especially during the first half. Maybe I’m being a bit harsh.
- 1st Quarter: Mark Ingram (1-yard TD run), Garrett Grayson run for 2PT
- 2nd Quarter: Mark Ingram (1-yard TD run), Tommylee Lewis run for 2PT
- 4th Quarter: Reggie Bell (4-yard TD pass from Luke McCown), 2PT failed
- Luke McCown - 18-for-27, 143 passing yards, TD, INT
- Garrett Grayson - 10-for-16, 133 passing yards, INT
- Marcus Murphy - 7 carries for 22 yards, 3 receptions for 18 yards
- Mark Ingram - 7 carries for 18 yards, 2 TD
- Michael Thomas - 4 receptions, 67 yards
- Tommylee Lewis - 3 receptions, 38 yards
The Saints were previously 7-3 in preseason openers under Sean Payton, and now haven’t won a preseason game since August 23, 2014 (23-17 victory over the Indianapolis Colts).