Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC (6-foot-2, 222-pounds)
Here’s the take from CSC member Joey Dauphine:
Browns fans! Good news and bad news.
The good news is you’re drafting a quarterback!!! The bad news is YOU. ARE. DRAFTING. A. QUARTERBACK.
Can’t sugarcoat it. This is a big a NEED as Delta needs to get away. This is a team that was/is thinking about trading a first-rounder for A.J McCarron. Yes, this is a team with such a need that even thinking about selecting a QB with the number 1 overall pick in this draft is acceptable. But in the here and now, the draft falls perfectly for Cleveland, who gets what Lance Zierlein calls “a high-end quarterback prospect that possesses NFL size, a big arm and the ability to throw with accuracy from the pocket or on the move”.
Only one detail hurts this selection: he is not a finished product. Technique wise, he is on the top of all QBs in this draft, but Trubisky has spent 98% of his dropbacks in shotgun formation. (Remember Tim Tebow, Danny Wuerffel, and yes, Johnny Manziel?) It will take a while for the former Mr. Ohio Football to acclimate to “under the center”. That means it is another year of learning, another year of mistakes, another year of waiting for the quarterback to put it all together.
Sorry to be a Brandon Downer, but it is very true.
Mitchell (don’t call me Mitch) is not a tenderfoot. He has the best arm talent in the draft. (Strength and touch; think Matthew Stafford without Megatron) And he is going to have THE premiere QB whisperer in head coach Hue Jackson, who will play to his strengths and ask of him what he asked his quarterbacks in Cincinnati: manage the game.
Is this a rebuilding year? You want to put a word to it, it’s REMEDIATION. You can’t build on what is toxic. Purging what is not prosperous and getting two keystones is a great way to start a base. Don’t you agree?
Do you agree with the Browns taking Mitch Trubisky?
This poll is closed
Thanks to all the CSC members who are participating in this year's community mock draft. Without your help, none of this would be possible!
Community Mock Draft Results
- Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE, TAMU
- San Francisco 49ers - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- Chicago Bears - Jamal Adams, S, LSU
- Jacksonville Jaguars - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
- Tennessee Titans - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
- New York Jets - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
- Los Angeles Chargers - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
- Carolina Panthers - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- Cincinnati Bengals - Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
- Buffalo Bills - Tre’Davious White, CB, LSU
- New Orleans Saints - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
- Cleveland Browns - Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
The Arizona Cardinals are on the clock!