Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech (6-foot-2, 225-pounds)
Here’s what Ryan had to say on the Mahomes pick:
Although some would consider Pat Mahomes a reach this early, the Arizona Cardinals pull the trigger on a POTENTIAL Franchise Quarterback who would fit perfectly in their offensive system, which derives around the vertical passing game. In fact, much of Bruce Arians’ system thrives on spread concepts which are what Mahomes ran at Texas Tech.
Also, after mulling retirement after this past season for the better part of a month, as well as seeing his Passer Rating drop to 87.2 in 2016 from 104.6 in 2015, Carson Palmer decided to return for at least one more season.
"My intent was to take some time after the season to get away and see where I was physically and mentally," Palmer said, via the Cardinals official website.
"On both fronts, I can say I'm ready to get back to work and prepare for the 2017 season. This is a phenomenal group with a very special opportunity in front of it. I know how rare that is and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of it."
With that being said, this would be a perfect situation for Mahomes to be able to sit behind an established QB entering his twilight and learn what it takes to be a successful QB in the league. He would also be learning from one of the best offensive minds in the game in Arians’, who has mentored Quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger and Andrew Luck. Also, Arians along with GM Steve Keim have both the job security and the track record to roll the dice on a talented guy many consider a project with HIGH upside.
Arizona is in the same situation as our Saints expect to be. However, Brees has shown little to no decline in recent years, unlike Palmer. Arizona also has holes on the Offensive Line which would need to be addressed in the draft but Mahomes will not last until their 2nd Round Pick. Ideally, trading down while picking up a 2nd or 3rd Round and still drafting Mahomes is the way to go, but even that would be a gamble if they felt like he is their guy. Don’t be surprised to see Mahomes go 13th to the Cardinals.
Do you agree with the Cardinals taking Patrick Mahomes?
This poll is closed
Thanks to all the CSC members who are participating in this year's community mock draft. Without your help, none of this would be possible!
Community Mock Draft Results
- Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE, TAMU
- San Francisco 49ers - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- Chicago Bears - Jamal Adams, S, LSU
- Jacksonville Jaguars - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
- Tennessee Titans - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
- New York Jets - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
- Los Angeles Chargers - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
- Carolina Panthers - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- Cincinnati Bengals - Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
- Buffalo Bills - Tre’Davious White, CB, LSU
- New Orleans Saints - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
- Cleveland Browns - Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
- Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
The Philadelphia Eagles are on the clock!