With the 21st pick in the 2017 Canal Street Chronicles community NFL Mock Draft, the Detroit Lions select....
Mike Williams, WR, Clemson (6-foot-4, 218-pounds)
This is simply a case of BPA in the early rounds. Although running back and cornerback are more pressing needs for the Lions (and Gareon Conley still being on the board gave me pause on this pick), Williams has the potential to become a star in the NFL. He won't have the pressure to be "the man" in Detroit, and the Lions could put him in favorable situations by moving him around the formation alongside Golden Tate and Marvin Jones.
At 6-foot-4, 218-pounds and with an unofficial 40 time of 4.49, Williams brings size and speed to the offense. Scouts have compared him to Tampa Bay's Mike Evans, citing him as a prototypical flanker. Dabo Swinney had a rule at Clemson called the Mike Williams Rule: "If there's only one [defender] on him, he's open."
The Lions are an offensive oriented team, and Williams adds depth to the position that a quarterback like Matthew Stafford can utilize to its max potential. Williams's ability to make 50/50 catches fits perfectly into Stafford's game. His biggest knock is on drops, where Williams can sometimes struggle. On a team where drops are already abnormally high, this is a large concern, but the reward heavily outweighs the risk in Williams's case. Having a flanker that can catch jump balls is crucial to Stafford's game, and it plays right into Williams's wheelhouse.
Do you agree with the Lions taking Mike Williams?
This poll is closed
Community Mock Draft Results
- Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE, TAMU
- San Francisco 49ers - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- Chicago Bears - Jamal Adams, S, LSU
- Jacksonville Jaguars - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
- Tennessee Titans - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
- New York Jets - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
- Los Angeles Chargers - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
- Carolina Panthers - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- Cincinnati Bengals - Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
- Buffalo Bills - Tre’Davious White, CB, LSU
- New Orleans Saints - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
- Cleveland Browns - Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
- Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
- Philadelphia Eagles (via Minnesota) - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
- Indianapolis Colts - Ryan Ramcyzk, OT, Wisconsin
- Baltimore Ravens - Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
- Washington Redskins - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
- Tennessee Titans (via LA Rams) - John Ross, WR, Washington
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
- Denver Broncos - David Njoku, TE, Miami
- Detroit Lions - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson