Kevin King, DB, Washington (6-foot-3, 200-pounds)
The Houston Texans need a quarterback, and a good quarterback. Unfortunately, in this mock draft, the best of the sparse QB prospects have been selected as Deshaun Watson went 6th, Mitchell Trubisky went 12th, and Patrick Mahomes went 13th. Deshone Kizer is still available, but the Texans cannot choose a developmental QB with this pick.
Other areas of need for the Texans include offensive tackle, cornerback, and safety. If the plan is to roll into 2017 with Tom Savage and a late round QB selection on the roster, then the logically next move is to choose a tackle. In all honesty and with all due respect to the OTs left on the board, none offer the first-round resumes of Ryan Ramcyzk & Cam Robinson. The Texans have a rock solid defense and the team continues to identify and select quality talent.
Enter Kevin King, a versatile defensive back who has played at all four positions in the secondary while in college. King is rangy and can play outside with a physical presence but is fluid enough to move inside and guard the slot receiver occasionally. King is a talented defender who can be solid in the right NFL scheme at CB but his versatility is his greatest asset and would lend to earlier pro success at safety.
That ability to play any position in the secondary makes King the perfect fit with the Texans as breakout CB A.J. Bouye and starters Quintin Demps have left in free agency. The team still has Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, and Kevin Johnson at CB but would be benefited by adding King as a safety to pair with Andre Hal. For King, you couldn’t ask for a better situation to be drafted into as he’d have a great front seven to play behind and he’d be surrounded by other players in the secondary who already have chemistry and can bring him along throughout the season.
With one need off the board, the Texans will likely revisit offensive line later in the draft.
Do you agree with the Texans selecting Kevin King?
This poll is closed
Community Mock Draft Results
- Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE, TAMU
- San Francisco 49ers - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- Chicago Bears - Jamal Adams, S, LSU
- Jacksonville Jaguars - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
- Tennessee Titans - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
- New York Jets - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
- Los Angeles Chargers - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
- Carolina Panthers - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- Cincinnati Bengals - Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
- Buffalo Bills - Tre’Davious White, CB, LSU
- New Orleans Saints - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
- Cleveland Browns - Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
- Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
- Philadelphia Eagles (via Minnesota) - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
- Indianapolis Colts - Ryan Ramcyzk, OT, Wisconsin
- Baltimore Ravens - Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
- Washington Redskins - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
- Tennessee Titans (via LA Rams) - John Ross, WR, Washington
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
- Denver Broncos - David Njoku, TE, Miami
- Detroit Lions - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
- Miami Dolphins - Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
- New York Giants - Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
- Oakland Raiders - Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
- Houston Texans - Kevin King, DB, Washington