Taco Charlton, EDGE, Michigan (6-foot-6, 277-pounds)
Here’s what CSC member russty had to say on the pick:
They say "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer" and that's the reason I chose the Falcons. To take the opportunity to wear Quinn's skin. Testing the fit of it, if you will. I must say, as a Saints fan, it scared me.
He has a plan.
With the thirty-first pick of the 2017 NFL draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Taco Charlton. This is not a hard choice and I hope he doesn't fall this far in the real draft.
The Dan Quinn era in Atlanta is entering it's second year and even after a crushing defeat in the Super Bowl, there's reason to believe this is the start of a new order in the NFC South. With this in mind, the front office enters this year's draft hoping to accentuate their strengths on offense while addressing their weaknesses on defense.
Atlanta's front office went rogue in last years draft. Most considered their top two picks of Neal and Jones respectively to be "reaches". Turns out...not so much. So I expect them to attempt the same this year. With pass rusher, safety and interior offensive lineman as their biggest needs, I think they will look to draft their guy irregardless of perceived BPA status. Defensively they seem to place an emphasis on speed and athletic ability over technical skills. Speed is the new mantra.
Quinn had to be pleased with the performance of Vic Beasley last year and a solid rotation of defensive tackles, most notably returning veterans Adrian Clayborn and Grady Jarrett who combined for 7.5 sacks and were credited with 16 and 15 QB hurries respectively by Sporting Charts. They bolstered the interior with the addition of Dontari Poe in the off season. This should leave no doubt where their fire will be directed in the first round of the up coming draft.
Free safety is another crucial cog missing from Quinn's machine and the lack of safety personal limited his game plan last season. It's my opinion he wants to play more three safety sets but lacks a single high guy with sideline to sideline ability. Scary thing is, there are guys later in this draft that should fill the bill.
Like it or not, the road to the NFC South title runs through Atlanta whichever venue will be operational this upcoming season. If Quinn solidifies the guard spot on the offensive line, picks a ball hawking single high safety and bags a lion in this draft, the Falcons will be a tough row to hoe for the other teams in this division for the foreseeable future.
Do you agree with the Falcons taking Taco Charlton?
This poll is closed
Thanks to all the CSC members who are participating in this year's community mock draft. Without your help, none of this would be possible!
Community Mock Draft Results
- Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE, TAMU
- San Francisco 49ers - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- Chicago Bears - Jamal Adams, S, LSU
- Jacksonville Jaguars - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
- Tennessee Titans - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
- New York Jets - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
- Los Angeles Chargers - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
- Carolina Panthers - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- Cincinnati Bengals - Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
- Buffalo Bills - Tre’Davious White, CB, LSU
- New Orleans Saints - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
- Cleveland Browns - Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
- Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
- Philadelphia Eagles (via Minnesota) - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
- Indianapolis Colts - Ryan Ramcyzk, OT, Wisconsin
- Baltimore Ravens - Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
- Washington Redskins - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
- Tennessee Titans (via LA Rams) - John Ross, WR, Washington
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
- Denver Broncos - David Njoku, TE, Miami
- Detroit Lions - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
- Miami Dolphins - Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
- New York Giants - Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
- Oakland Raiders - Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
- Houston Texans - Kevin King, CB, Washington
- Seattle Seahawks - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
- Kansas City Chiefs - Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
- Dallas Cowboys - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
- Green Bay Packers - Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
- Pittsburgh Steelers - Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
- Atlanta Falcons - Taco Charlton, EDGE, Michigan