The 2017 NFL regular season started in Minnesota for the New Orleans Saints. Without left tackle Terron Armstead and with right tackle Zach Strief getting injured early in the game, the Saints quickly found themselves facing incredible pressure from the Vikings’ pass rush. Having to constantly run for his life, Drew Brees could only lead the offense to 19 meager points, seven of which came in garbage time.
The defense that had shown so much promise quickly reminded us what is feels like to...not have a defense. Bradford looked like a hybrid of Joe Montana and Tom Brady tonight, completing third down pass after third down pass. Sam Bradford ended the night with 346 yards passing and a whopping 143 passer rating.
There’s a lot of work to do, but the Saints start 0-1 for the fourth year in a row. In the Payton era, New Orleans has made the playoffs only once when starting the year 0-1 (2011) so this isn’t exactly a good omen, especially with the angry New England Patriots coming to town next Sunday.
Hang in there Saints fans, it’s just one game after all and the season is never over after week one.
Here a quarter-by-quarter summary of tonight’s action.
- The Saints start the game with the ball and drive 13-play into the red zone
- The drive stalls and Wil Lutz makes a 43-yard field goal.
- NO: 3 MIN: 0
- After the kickoff, the Viking use a long drive of their own, 15 plays into the red zone
- Alex Anzalone pass breakup on 3rd down forces Minnesota to attempt a field goal
- Former Saints Kai Forbath converts:
- NO: 3 - MIN: 3
- The Saints get the ball and the quarter expires after a quick 20 minutes
- New Orleans gets the ball but goes 3 and out
- Vikings return the favor as the Saints defense gets pressure on Bradford
- Saints get the ball again and drive into Vikings territory
- Coby Fleener shows up with two big catches taking the Saints to Minny’s 10-yard line
- Saints stall after attempting three run plays
- Wil Lutz converts from 21 yards out.
- NO: 6 - MIN: 3
- Vikings gain 35 yards on the first pass on their next possession
- Minnesota gets a 21-yard pass on the next play
- The next pass is in the end zone for an 18-yard touchdown.
- NO: 6 - MIN: 10
- In three plays, the Vikings went 74 yards to score
- The Saints get the ball and go 3 and out
- Morstead send a booming punt that lands at the Vikes 5-yard line
- Vikings get out of the shadow of their end zone
- Saints let the Vikings drive the length of the field in less than a minute
- Vikings score a touchdown with 3 seconds left of the clock
- Forbath misses the extra point
- NO: 6 - MIN: 16
- Vikings start the 2nd half with the ball at their 34-yard line
- Devante Harris gets abused by Stefon Diggs for a 30-yard gain
- Vikings stall thanks to a drop by Dalvin Cook on third down
- Forbath converts a 32-yard field goal.
- NO: 6 - MIN: 19
- Saints get their first possession of the second half
- Brees promptly gets sacked by Everson Griffen after Ramczyk whiffs
- A holding quickly ends the drive
- Vikings take the ball at their 32-yard line
- On 3rd down, Bradford makes another incredible throw into Saints territory
- Cam Jordan gets to Bradford for New Orleans’ first sack of the night
- Saints get off the field and force the Vikings’ second punt of the game
- Saints move the ball
- Brees throws a beautiful 52-yard completion to Tommylee Lewis
- Saints again fail in the read zone
- Wil Lutz makes a 24-yard field goal.
- NO: 9 - MIN: 19
- Vikings convert a 3rd and 9 early in their possession as the quarter ends
- Vikings quickly drive inside the Saints red zone
- Bradford finds Kyle Rudolph for a 15-yard touchdown
- NO: 9 - MIN: 26
- Saints get the ball and go into their hurry-up offense
- Saints get to the red zone once again
- Another red zone fail and another field goal
- Lutz makes a 20-yard field goal.
- Still no touchdown for the Saints on the night
- NO: 12 - MIN: 26
- Vikings drive down the field with ease
- Kai Forbath makes a 45-yard field goal
- NO: 12 - MIN: 29
- Saints go on a garbage yards drive as Vikes go in prevent defense
- Saints get to the red zone for the fifth time
- Brees finds Coby Fleener for an 8-yard touchdown
- NO: 19 - MIN: 29
- Saints onside kick fails and Minnesota recovers the ball near midfield
- Vikings ice the game and win it
- Final score: NO: 19 - MIN: 29
What most disappointed you in tonight’s performance by the Saints?
This poll is closed
That (awful) defense I thought we had!
Brees and the offense stalling in the red zone
The offensive play of the offensive line
Cornerback Devante Harris (21) who got roasted all night
I didn’t have enough burgers to forget the pain