Welcome back to a new series piece for 2019. Before each game, I’ll point out the five questions I have for the team that I’ll be looking out for in the upcoming game.
- Can Teddy Bridgewater keep it up? The Saints are a great story right now with Teddy Bridgewater stepping in for an injured Drew Brees, but they’re not the only team in the NFL relying on a backup quarterback. Gardner Minshew has played well in place of the injured Nick Foles, and “Minshew Magic” is a real thing down in Jacksonville. Whose luck will run out this week?
- Will the Jaguars be able to contain Alvin Kamara? Christian McCaffrey is less than one week removed from rushing 19 times for 176 yards and two scores plus catching an additional six balls for 61 yards and another score against the Jaguars defense. Can Alvin Kamara find similar success?
- Will Deonte Harris secure the football? Harris’s issues in the punt return game were the lone blemish in an otherwise exceptional game in all three facets against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last week. Sean Payton has publicly stated he will be patient with Harris, but his patience will only go so far.
- Will a different Saints wide receiver step up? If Jalen Ramsey suits up for the Jags - which is a big “if” - you know he’ll be playing at a level in hopes of convincing another team to overpay in a trade. Ramsey is a true lock-down corner and could do to Mike Thomas what Marshon Lattimore has done to Amari Cooper and Mike Evans. If so, the Saints will need another wide receiver to step up in Thomas’s place.
- Can the Saints avoid eating the cheese? When Drew went down with an injured thumb, many NFL pundits immediately counted the Saints out. They’ve gone for underdog to favorites with the success of the team the last three weeks. They will need to stay humble and focused to beat a talented Jacksonville team. They can’t afford to look ahead to the Chicago Bears.
So those are the things I’m looking at in the game. What about you? What are you looking at specifically in this game? Something different? Tell me in the comments. Send me presents.