Welcome back to a new series piece for 2019. Before each game, I’ll point out the five questions I have for the team that I’ll be looking out for in the upcoming game.
- Will Drew Brees be back? Obviously the biggest story for the Saints this week will be whether Drew Brees returns to the field for the first time since leaving Week 2 after his thumb was jammed in a hit from the Rams Aaron Donald.
- Will the offense show any rust if so? The office was finally looking like it was gelling with Teddy Bridgewater under center. Will the potential return of Drew Brees cause any hiccups in the Saints’ offensive machine?
- What about Alvin Kamara? Injuries are the big story right now, and Alvin Kamara was another Saint who missed last week’s game against the Chicago Bears. With a bye between the Cardinals and the first matchup against the Atlanta Falcons, will Kamara return or will the Saints err on the side of caution and give him another week?
- Will Michael Thomas be able to keep it up? Michael Thomas has been absolutely incredible for the Saints so far in 2019, regardless of who has been at quarterback. However, a Week 8 game that will likely see one of the NFL’s best in Patrick Peterson shadowing Thomas all game will be intriguing. Because Jalen Ramsey didn’t play for the Jaguars when the Saints played in Jacksonville, this will be Thomas’s toughest individual test so far this year.
- What will the rotation in the secondary be? PJ Williams is suspended one more game. Patrick Robinson appeared to injure a hamstring last week and will likely miss this week. Eli Apple could miss this week as well after injuring a knee last week. Who will be the starting cornerbacks with Marshon Lattimore, especially playing outside, against a talented group of wide receivers like Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk?
So those are the things I’m looking at in the game. What about you? What are you looking at specifically in this game? Something different? Tell me in the comments. Send me presents.