After teams across the NFL formulated their initial 53-man roster for the upcoming season, the real work went into play. Several teams put in waiver claims on available players, which saw the New Orleans Saints lose a hopeful practice squad player in running back Devine Ozigbo, as he’s now with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
NFL clubs can shape out their 10-man practice squad today, Here’s a refresher or reminder on how the rules work, according to the CBA.
Teams can carry 10 players on the practice squad, but four of them must have two accrued seasons’ worth of experience. The remaining six must have logged fewer than two accrued seasons. And in total, players are only eligible to remain on the practice squad for three years (a minimum of six games per year). An accrued season equals six games spent on the 53-man roster, injured reserve, or physically unable to perform list.
Here’s your Saints tracker of all related moves, as it appears we have our 10 players already prior to 2:00 p.m. CT.
- Tight end Alize Mack (source)
- Wide receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey (source)
- Tight end Dan Arnold (source)
- Wide receiver Emmanuel Butler (source)
- Offensive lineman John Leglue (per his Twitter)
- Defensive back T.J. Green (source)
- Defensive lineman Mitchell Loewen (source)
- Wide receiver/running back Taquan Mizzell (source)
- Offensive lineman Derrick Kelly (source)
- Defensive back Terrell Williams Jr. (source)