Welcome back to a new series piece for 2019. Before each game, I’ll point out the five questions I have for the team that I’ll be looking out for in the upcoming game.
- Can the Saints start fast out of the gate? On both offense and defense the Saints seem to struggle through most of the first quarter, if not most of the first half. Against a high-powered Rams offense and stout defensive front, the Saints can’t afford to trail early.
- Can the Saints rush defense contain the Rams rushing attack? In the Saints and Rams regular season matchup and postseason matchup last year, the Saints were able to hold the Rams to less than 100 yards rushing as a team each time. In Week 1 last week, the Saints gave up 180 rushing yards to the Texans. Can the Saints return to being a solid rush defense?
- Will the Saints 3rd down defense tighten up? If the Saints have any hope of winning the game, they will have to improve on 3rd down defense and do a better job of forcing stops to get off the field.
- Is the no-call more in the minds of the Saints or the Rams? The Saints want revenge. The Rams want vindication. The Saints want to take back what was theirs. The Rams want to prove that they actually were the better team. Which team is mentally strong enough to have the edge?
- What about the refs? Much adu was made about the quality of officiating necessary to cover the Saints first game after the NFC Championship fiasco. Unfortunately for the NFL, the referees still managed to botch a significant call in Week 1. Will they dare make a mistake in Week 2?
So those are the things I’m looking at in the game. What about you? What are you looking at specifically in this game? Something different? Tell me in the comments. Send me presents.