It’s another new football season for the New Orleans Saints, so I think now is as good a time as any to start a new weekly piece for the 2019 regular season. Before each game, I’ll point out the five questions I have for the team that I’ll be looking out for in the upcoming game.
In Week 1, the New Orleans Saints are set to take on Deshaun Watson and the Houston Texans in the first of two Monday Night Football games in the NFL. Here are the biggest questions I have for the team:
- Will the Saints pass rush finally show up? In the preseason, the Saints pass rushers - often without Cam Jordan - seemed to give opposing quarterbacks all day to throw. Now that the games count, will the Saints be able to make opposing quarterbacks make quick decisions or rush throws?
- Is there any in-game chemistry between Drew Brees and Jared Cook? Jared Cook was held out of the majority of the preseason in 2019 and Drew Brees only played in one series. We’ve seen what Drew can do with an elite pass-catching tight end, but will Drew and Cook have that connection out of the gate?
- Who will be the starting WR #3? When the Saints go to a three wide receiver set for the first time in their scripted plays, who lines up along side Michael Thomas and Ted Ginn Jr.? It will likely say a lot about how the Saints view the wide receiver group.
- How much will we see Taysom Hill in the offense? Taysom was specifically asked to stand in the pocket and throw more often than not in the preseason, so if the Saints realistically view Taysom as a potential QB-of-the-future, then will they risk Taysom getting injured in the wildcat?
- Can the Saints finally shake the Week 1 bugaboo? The Saints haven’t won a Week 1 game since 2013, including a surprising loss to Ryan FitzMagic and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season. Can 2019 finally break the streak?
So those are the things I’m looking at in the game. What about you? What are you looking at specifically in this game? Something different? Tell me in the comments. Send me presents.