The 2020 season is over, but the questions are just getting started. If anything, there are more questions now that the season is over than there were when the season was still going.
So what are the biggest questions now that the season is officially over and the offseason is here? I’m not sure what your biggest questions are, but here are mine.
- What happens with Drew Brees? The Saints biggest question this offseason with what the future holds for the future Hall of Famer. By all accounts he’s expected to announce his retirement, but every day that passes is another day that his future is still technically up in the air. His is likely the first domino that needs to be fall in a very important offseason.
- What about the other quarterbacks? Drew isn’t the one Saints quarterback who’s an impending free agent. Jameis Winston only signed a one-year deal to join the team last offseason. If Brees hangs it up, can the Saints afford to keep Winston around? Taysom Hill is still under contract, but his future is far from guaranteed in New Orleans.
- Who else gets poached? The Saints have already lost Terry Fontenot to the Falcons and Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn to the Lions. Who else on the coaching staff could be off for bigger jobs? And who fills in for as a replacement? Could Pete Carmichael, Joe Lombardi or Dennis Allen be next? Lombardi is already in talks with the Chargers...
- Who are the cap casualties? As it currently stands, the Saints are over $100 million dollars over the 2021 cap. We all know the cap is but a myth to Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis, but that’s usually because of thrifty salary restructures and cuts. Who is a cap casualty this offseason? Because the Saints won’t be able to keep everyone.
- Can we afford extensions? There are several Saints players that should be due for a hefty pay increase sooner rather than later. Marshon Lattimore, Terron Armstead, and Ryan Ramczyk all come to mind. Could any get extensions? Would any hold out in hopes of a new contract?
What are your pressing questions this offseason? Let us know in the comments. Make sure you follow Canal Street Chronicles on Twitter at @SaintsCSC, on Instagram @SaintsCSC, “Like” us on Facebook at Canal Street Chronicles, and make sure you’re subscribed to our new YouTube channel. As always, you can follow me on Twitter @ChrisDunnells.